Vienna, Austria

Mon 9th – Wed 11th June

The more I travel, the more I realise how little I know. And I got pretty good grades in school, so how is it that I know so little about the world? Like the fact that Austria was actually bloody enormous before World War I and the Austrian-Hungarian empire was one of the most powerful kingdoms in all of Europe, if not the world. So visiting Vienna with this newly realised perception really put the city into context – it's pretty damn important on the history scale.


Rather than try to cypher the centuries of history ourselves, we opted for a walking tour that took us through all the major sights of the city. How did I miss the 18th and 19th centuries? This place was awesome! Amazing cathedrals, palaces with royal family legacies that far surpass the drama and prestige of the Windsors, ancient libraries filled to the ceiling with books that look like they'd disintegrate at the first touch and then there's the destruction during the 20th century and Vienna's rebuilding. What an amazing city!

Vienna's Town Hall with the Euro 2008 fan zone in front

I'd be here for hours trying to describe or explain the significance of each location we visited, so here's a shout-out to the 'a picture is worth a thousand words' theory. Vienna: through my lens


No comments: