Prague, Czech Republic

Sun 31st Aug - Tues 2nd Sept

I've fallen in love with Prague. And having visited here before, this visit meant no feelings of guilt if I didn't see the inside of a single museum. Just enjoy and indulge.

Day one – shopped til I dropped. My wardrobe was in dire straights, especially since I'd chosen to pack 3 pairs of linen trousers/shorts and one pair of jeans. One lesson I've learned on this trip is that linen wears out rather quickly if you wear it every single day for 5 months in a row, especially when you are not blessed with thighs that don't rub together. I was down to one pair of shorts and one pair of jeans. Everything else was now crotchless and required either matching underwear to appear as part of the trouser, or constantly remembering not to bend over in public.

Charles Bridge at dawn

It wasn't that I was being cheap. Of course all of the trouser ripping had to happen in Eastern Europe where I wasn't familiar with any of the stores and most clothes fittings happen on the street in markets. I'm just a little shy.

So after one day in Prague, the van closet had clothes piled to the ceiling and Bevan's wondering why I'm in new trousers and new T-shirts and new dresses. If it's really a problem, I'll happily burn my crotchless trousers to make more room. (Don't tell him I already did – there really is no room left!!)
Watching sunset over the Vltava River

Day two – another day of solo sight-seeing while Bevan took photos. I snuck off to the mall and found my first Starbucks since Vienna 3 months ago. Never has a Caramel Frappuccino tasted so good.

With no museum or cultural obligations, I picked out a neighbourhood and spent a few hours exploring the Little Quarter by the castle. It's beautiful here and even possible to find a few streets that aren't mobbed with tourists. I also discovered the Vrtba garden where 5 euros will buy you incredible views of the castle, cathedral and surrounding neighbourhood.

Prague Cathedral from the Charles Bridge

Feeling a bit knackered from the previous day's shopping bonanza, I met Bevan for some excellent Mexican food at The Cantina and indulged in an amazing strawberry margarita, then we slowly continued exploring unknown streets while making our way to Red Hot & Blues – a New Orleans inspired restaurant in the Old Town. I nearly cried with happiness over the buffalo wings (they tasted like the real thing!!) and the live hillbilly blues music made the evening a real treat.

I still love Prague. Neither of us wanted to leave and if it weren't for the crowds of tourists, we might still be there.


Tourists waiting for the Astronomical Clock

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I am glad that you got some new clothes! I can't wait to see them in a few short weeks!!!!! Miss you!
Love,
Ali